.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

About Lighters and Knives

Hi, Fernando.
I enjoy your blog, and am happy to have bought and read your book.
Excellent practical ideas!

I was wondering about fuel for that IMCO lighter. Do you have any idea whether it has to be lighter fluid, or whether it is accepting of other kinds of fuel!?
I didn't see much about it on their website.

Thanks!
Phil
Orcas Island, WA

Hi!, benzene, white gas, naphtha, can be used in a lighter like the IMCO (or Zippo for that matter). These liquid fuel lighters are very forgiving though Zippo lighter fluid is probably one of the best. I’ve even used gasoline in one occasion ( NOT recommended since gasoline is toxic and explosive).
What I have is a few bottles of benzene. This works ok and has other uses as well such as cleaning greasy parts (WD 40 has benzene in it). Careful with benzene though, its carcinogenic and generally toxic. Avoid contact with skin as much as possible, so don’t overflow your lighter.


Ferfal,
 
I've started to look into assisted open knives:
Smith & Wesson SWATMBS Swat Medium Serrated Assisted Opening Knife, Black

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools TFSA-97 Flash I with Combination Serrated and Fine Blade, Black TiNi
SOG Specialty Knives & Tools TFSA-97 Flash I with Combination Serrated and Fine Blade, Black TiNi
 SOG Specialty Knives & Tools TFSA-97 Flash I with Combination Serrated and Fine Blade, Black TiNi
I'm going to go to the local store and see how they feel.
 
Not sure of where they fall within the law, though. Do you have an opinion on
"assisted" open knives.
 
I did read that most of them seem to have a safety, and that one guy used
super glue on the safety because it was locking every now and then when he
didn't want it to.
 
DW

Hi I’m not crazy about them but if it feels ok for you then go for it. I like the SOG better, better brand in my opinon and the reviews are good. Search Amazon.com for cold steel voyager plainI’ve owned out the front automatic knives and they are fast, also somewhat intimidating, but with today’s folders you really get fast if you handle them often and the mechanism is much more rugged, a significant consideration in a knife that will be abused when used in close quarter self defense. A bit less expensive, same steel and about 1/2" bigger, oyu have the Cold Steel Voyager Tanto. These are pretty practical knives and would do well in a defensive role too. 
Voyager Medium Tanto Point Plain 

FerFAL

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was recently looking into getting some folding knives for myself and my wife. After reading many reviews on Amazon, I finally settled on the Kershaw Black Blur (link: http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Black-Folding-Knife/dp/B0009VCA0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286304140&sr=8-1). It's a more traditional knife with a *very* fast assisted opening mechanism. Just push the thumb stud, and it opens quite readily. Kershaw is a good brand, too.

I have not used mine (following FerFAL's advice to not use a knife you intend to use for self defense to keep it sharp), but the blade locks open securely and does not wobble from side to side. It appears to be a well constructed, solid knife.

I hope this helps.

Jonathan

refuse/resist! said...

Ferfal, are you sure about the benzene? It is quite carcinogenic, it is really smelly.
As a chemist I would really keep away from it.
Especially if one uses is daily for smoking.
Probably ethanol is the healthiest.

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of Kershaw's - my every day carry is the Mini Mojito - it has an index finger assist that is easy to open one handed - it stays sharp, easy to put an edge back on. I've carried it now for 3+ years. Back pocket where ever I go. I was in DC, and it just so happens that the White House was open for tours that weekend - so I had to give it up at the metal detectors - but I loved it so much I immediately ordered another when I got home.

I removed the pocket clip - smooth, thin, very useful.

I like the index finger assists better than the thumb assists.

Anonymous said...

The purpose for an assisted opening knife ( from a police officer I know) is to be able to pull out and open with ones left hand should someone lock your right hand behind you in an arm bar and get a choke hold around your neck. The ability to pull out and open a small knife with one hand, would allow you to stick it firmly in your attackers neck. This could possibly save your life.

FerFAL said...

Anonymous said...

" The purpose for an assisted opening knife ( from a police officer I know) is to be able to pull out and open with ones left hand should someone lock your right hand behind you in an arm bar and get a choke hold around your neck. The ability to pull out and open a small knife with one hand, would allow you to stick it firmly in your attackers neck. This could possibly save your life."
You can do that with most ambidextrous folders today. Spyderco, Cold Steel, most well known brands can be opened with both hands. Practice a bit and you get it opened almost as fast as with your other hand.

FerFAL

Unknown said...

It is very possible to open my Cold Steel El Hombre with either hand even though it is not assisted opening (it does take a little practice to open it smoothly with both hands).

My fiance loves my El Hombre because the handle is pretty thin and it has a pretty serious blade on it that is legal here and in the surrounding cities.