.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Food Storage: How much do you have right now?



It goes without saying that food is a top priority for survival from any perspective. No matter what happens, food will be needed. If you get hit by a tsunami, you’ll need food (and potable water!!!) and it may be ruined and scattered all over the area with the rest of your belongings except for what you managed to keep in a Bug out Bag or other Survival/Emergency Kit. If you’re snowed in during a storm, you better have supplies. If inflation sends food prices up 25% each passing year (or each passing WEEK! yes, can happen) trust me on this one, you will wish you had put aside that food stash you never got around to prepare. And if nothing ever happens… yes, you still need to eat, don’t you?

I recently came across this great video by Wendy Dewitt on food storage. It’s a bit long but worth every minute. It is a must watch video, people.


She also has an excellent guide available on line on her website.
http://allaboutfoodstorage.com/wp-content/uploads/EVERYTHING-UNDER-THE-SUN-2010-word.pdf
Wendy also has a DVD which I plan on buying ASAP.

Sensible Food Storage: Storing the Foods You Love to Eat



One last time, I know some of you guys don’t like youtube, please just click on it and watch it, you’ll thank me later.

Canning and food preservation can be as basic or as complex as you want to make it. If nothing else, learn to read the expiration dates and stock up a well balanced supply of store bought canned food. With little money you can put up a cache of sugar, flour, canned meat, oil and vegetables that will last for a very long time. Start small until you get the hang of it, but do start. Your ultimate objective is having six to twelve months of food, but don’t wait and at the very least get a month worth of food as soon as you can.
The sales found in supermarkets and dollar stores are sometimes ridiculous. You can make a significant purchase of supplies with a 50 Usd bill.

Before you even ask about canned food real expiration date:
In 1820, William Perry (Parry) took an expedition in search of the Northwest Passage, toward the North Pole. He took with him some canned meats. At the time, food canning was about a 10-year-old technology.
At least one can of meat was not used and wound up in a museum in England. In 1938, it was opened and found to be edible. It was fed to a cat which suffered no ill effects from eating the 118-year-old meat.
http://www.internet-grocer.net/how-long.htm

Food is still cheap and plentiful. That hasn’t always been the case. Don’t expect it to stay that way forever.

FerFAL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent article! My family has made canning a 'family activity' and the kids have come to enjoy it. We supplement our stores with freeze dried and dehydrated food stuffs, and have accumulated over a year's supply. A little penny pinching goes a long ways.

I recommend survivalacres.com for bulk food - their prices are half of what internet grocer charges, and I've had very good experiences with them!

Unknown said...

I am not truly a fan of having a gun in my possession. I think the level of insecurity in me will be much more than the level of safety one should feel with a gun lying somewhere around the house. This is because I have guests coming over ever so often and my friends and family mainly comprise of young parents with small children. You know how mischievous kids can be right? And I don't wish for any accidents to happen because of me. That is why even if I do own any form of weaponry, I would just leave them in my storage unit when guests come over.